Congratulations, you are a home owner. This wonderful event may have just happened or it may have been a while ago. However, no matter how long it has been this information is good for you to know. Additionally, here are basic home maintenance tasks that should be completed regularly that will ensure that you get the maximum life out of your home’s components.
You should be checking the following annually:
- Check grout and caulking. Touch up voids to protect against water damage. Additionally, check for plumbing leaks under sinks, around toilers and in showers.
- Check sump pumps.
- Do a visual inspection of the water heater.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Additionally, make sure to replace batteries.
- Have HVAC systems cleaned and checked. Moreover, make sure that you have filters on hand for your furnace and you are changing them every 3 months.
- Clean out the gutters and check for leaks.
- Walk around the exterior of your property. Additionally, check to make sure that vegetation is trimmed. Test your lawn sprinkler system for leaks.
Home maintenance every 2 to 5 years:
- Fireplaces should be serviced. Gas log fireplaces should be cleaned about every couple of years, depending on use. Additionally, wood burning fireplaces should have the chimney cleaned every couple of years.
- Clothes dryer exhausts vests should be cleaned.
- Replace caulking around windows and doors.
Home maintenance every 5 to 10 years:
- Plan on replacing the water heater in this time frame.
- Replace the garage door opener.
- Replace smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Home maintenance every 15 years:
You are now reaching the point in home maintenance that you have gone full circle. Additionally, this means that you have replaced everything and you are starting over again. There are some items in this list that have a big price tag on them. Moreover, the replacement of these items may require some planning and saving for.
- Plan on replacement of the roof. Depending on the roofing material and the climate. Replacement of the can need to occur anytime between 20 and 40 years.
- Budget for replacement of HVAC systems including furnace and central A/C units. Properly servicing these units can length the life of the equipment, but plan on replacing between 15 years and 20 years.
- If your property has a deck, plan on replacement. Decking materials have greatly improved with the introduction of Trex and other composite decking materials. You do not have to choose wood. Do your research and select replacement products that will function well and give the new deck a long life.
- Bathroom and kitchen faucets and sinks. This is a task that could be performed by you or a handyman. Remember to select quality. It will save you money over the long term.
Owning a home is more than just enjoyment and a place to store your stuff. A home requires regular maintenance. This post should give you an idea of what you should be doing to maintain your home. Additionally, if this is nothing you feel comfortable doing you can always hire this work done for you. Contact us for a list of trusted people who can help you complete these tasks.