You have just listed your home for sale and it has been staged and photographed, all while planning on living in your home while it is on the market. You have agreed that it will be going in the MLS tomorrow. How do you deal with your home on the market, keeping it looking its best and still living there? It can be difficult to live in your home while it is for sale. After all, you are trying to present the home in its best light.
Living in your home while it is on the market comes with real life with all of its challenges
Here are several things that you can do during this time to make life a bit easier for yourself and keep your home looking showing ready. If your home is staged and looks its best and is priced right you should have showings being scheduled shortly after your home comes on the market.
- Make sure that you have secured any valuables and prescription drugs. Think about your privacy and remove or store any personal documents that contain financial or personal information. Close or turn off computers
- If you have pets you will need to have a pet plan in place before you have any showings. It is best that animals are taken with you and not present for showings. Even the best-behaved dogs can be disruptive during a showing. It is wise to also remove pet toys, bowls, beds and kennels.
Cats can be upset and try to escape. It is wise to remove them too. Not everyone has just a dog or cat. Some people have reptiles, birds or small mammals. It is wise to find temporary homes with friends during the showing of your home. Some people can be uncomfortable with these animals. They also can be distracting. Remember the buyer is there to see your home and fall in love, not fall for your animals.
Some Other Pro Tips
- Keep your home clean and clutter free. The best way to keep your home looking its best while you are having showings is to establish a daily routine. This can include making your bed as soon as you get up. Also tiding the kitchen after each meal. Keeping cleaning supplies handy to do a quick clean in the bathroom each day. Put the toys away at the end of the day before bed. Doing these things as a part of the day will make it easy to run out the door for a showing knowing your home looks great.
- Have a to go bag packed. If you have kids at home the to go bag should include snacks and some toys for them to play with while you are in the car. Maybe a treat for the dog too. Lap tops, prescriptions, mail and anything else that is sitting on the counter can be stuck in the bag on the way out the door.
- Before you leave make sure that the thermostat is set to a comfortable temperature. Open blinds and turn on lights. If you have a gas fireplace, turn it on. Fluff pillows, put away toys for kids and dogs. Stow away kitchen trash and wipe counters. Stow away pet bowls and liter boxes. Pick up the to go bag and smile. You are ready for your showing.
Contact us today if you have any questions on how to make your move work for you.