If you have ever thought about selling your home and looked into it at all, you have heard realtors say that you need to prepare your home for sale. But what does that mean? Let’s explore that.
We all would agree that the way that we live in our home is not the way that you sell our home. Leaving dirty laundry on the floor may be ok for day to day, but not when you are selling your home. We all know that, but what else do I need to know. Call Lestel for great advice on what you should do specifically to make your home sell for top dollar. Every situation is unique and so is every home. She can advise you. These tips are good general ones that can apply to almost every home.
1. Depersonalize your space. You have wonderful photos of you and your family scattered around your home. Please pack them up. Buyers are looking at your house and we do not want them looking at photos to see if they know you.
2. Declutter the space. You have heard the saying, “Less is more.” That is certainly true when selling your home. We want the buyers to see your home and not your stuff. Too much makes buyers too distracted.
3. Make your home sparkle. Clean like you mean it. From the ceiling fans to the floors and everything in between. Make everything sparkle. Make it look like it is effortless to keep this home clean.
4. Freshen landscaping. Curb appeal is crucial to a good first impression. We do not want buyers to drive by and decide to just keep going. Mow the lawn, trim the bushes, weed the garden and plant some flowers. A pot of flowers by the door can look so homey and inviting. Of course taking into account the season of the year.
5. Make repairs. No one knows your home like you do. You know all of those little repairs that you have been putting off…now is the time to do it. If I buyer finds something wrong that may be the turn off that causes them to buy another home and not yours. Lestel can make recommendations on who can help you get things done.
6. Eliminate bad odors. Nothing turns off a buyer more than a home that does not smell good. We all have a different definition of what smells good, but most all of us agree that pet smells and smoke do not smell good. Lestel can help you with ways to neutralize odors. When you have a showing fresh flowers or fresh baked cookies can certainly make buyers smile.
7. Home Staging. This is a free service that Lestel provides her sellers. It pays off big for them. We will do a blog post on Staging soon.
Selling your home for top dollar can take a little effort, but the effort will pay off in dollars in your pocket at closing.